Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Wednesday 25 May 2016

What God Taught Me Through A Chewbacca Mask:

I'm sure by now you've seen the viral video of Candace Payne laughing joyously wearing a Chewbacca mask!

To be honest, when I saw the video I wondered what all the fuss was about...I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not that enthralled by StarWars? But whatever the reason, I had a small laugh and thought, “Well if I was her friend, I would have laughed at the video but not shared it...I mean it's just a woman laughing in her car!”

Then I couldn't escape the story and conversation about this “Joyous Woman”. I became intrigued about what was really making this woman “go viral”. I knew it wasn't simply because she laughed so hard. I knew there was more going on than people were realising, so I followed the link to her Facebook page. Very soon it was blatantly clear Candace was a dedicated Christian and I knew that God had allowed this “viralness” to happen and then I wondered why???

There I sat, honestly wondering why and thinking, “But God's name wasn't even mentioned in the Chewbacca mask wearing video!”

It wasn't until the other day when I saw the following clip and it was like my jaw hit the floor....I realised that this laughing woman, was a woman of depth and wisdom; that The Lord had provided her a platform from a simple Chewbacca mask; a child's play toy!

I knew that unsaved people were attracted to Candace's joy, and that these people needed to understand it was the joy of The Lord Candace was exhibiting which made her so unique to their own dry, and thirsty souls.

We are called to be a light in this dark world and this is what Candace Payne has been to many people. A single mother who finds joy in the simple things of life, not because of the inanimate object she was wearing, but because of The Lord living inside her! A joy that comes forth from knowing Jesus Christ personally as her Lord and Saviour for eternity. A peace no-one can take away, a deep and real sustaining joy.

A Chewbacca mask, of all things! 

It reminded me that if The Lord wants to promote someone, He simply will and He cannot be stopped. It reminds me of the passage Matthew 23:12

“And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”


Candace Payne is a truly humble woman whom The Lord has exalted and used to speak a message about Diligence, Patience and Obedience. A message that isn't always preached to youth these days. You can watch it here:



What I love is that The Lord used a Chewbacca mask to give a humble woman a platform to preach a true biblical message about putting The Lord first and foremost in all aspects of our life – About dying to ourselves and becoming spiritually fit...To wait upon The Lord to walk in His will for our life...Being obedient to His will and holy standards...And to lift up His Name, rather than seeking fame for ourselves! Praise The Lord!

We should be encouraged by Candace to relax and trust His timing and plan for our life. To not push for our own way and glory – rather to pray, wait and proclaim Him always.


Love Melanie.


No comments: