Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Sunday 24 May 2015

REPENTANCE:

Today I want to talk about Repentance because it is such a precious gift from God to us and a very real and important part of a Christian’s life.

Repentance is such a precious gift:

‘For He knows how we were made; He remembers that we are dust.’ Psalm 104:13

Living as Christians is a battle against our flesh and spiritual forces which seek to destroy us and ultimately our precious relationship with God.
Yet if we stumble our Heavenly Father loves us so, to convict us of our sin, and lead us to repentance…for indeed repentance is not just a once off event we do only once at conversion.  Scripture does not teach, “Just say this prayer mate and you’ll be right…”

Repentance is such a precious gift:

‘This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light and in him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him while we are walking in darkness, we lie and do not do what is true; but if we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.' 1 John 1: 5-10.

We are not to deliberately sin, indeed we are to walk as Christ did, but when we stumble we can call upon Jesus our advocate and intercessor:

‘My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. Now by this we may be sure that we know him, if we obey his commandments. Whoever says, “I have come to know him,” but does not obey his commandments, is a liar, and in such a person the truth does not exist; but whoever obeys his word, truly in this person the love of God has reached perfection. By this we may be sure that we are in him: whoever says, “I abide in him,” ought to walk just as he walked.’ 1 John 2: 1-6.

Repentance is such a precious gift!

I have found there have been times when I have stumbled in my Christian walk and lost a battle with my flesh very soon after something wonderful has happened with me and God…
This has caused me grief that has been almost unbearable until I remember the Lord is leading me to repentance. I understand the enemy has attacked me and I may have lost this round but not the whole battle because of Jesus who has won it for me. I know the Lord, because He loves me, is convicting me and growing me.

‘Now I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because your grief led to repentance; for you felt a godly grief, so that you were not harmed in any way by us. For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation and brings no regret, but worldly grief produces death. For see what earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what zeal, what punishment!’ 2 Corinthians 7: 9-11.

When I repent, and by this I mean saying sorry to God and really, really meaning it and spending time seeking what Jesus has to say to me…what freedom and release I experience!  I feel His amazing love for me as His daughter, and the accuser is silenced because Christ’s righteousness is imparted again to me.

To finish I want to have a short look at the word REPENT:
R ~ Repentance leads to Christ’s RIGHTEOUSNESS being imparted freely and undeservingly to us.
E ~ Repentance means an EARNEST apology and asking for forgiveness through Jesus Christ – because forgiveness is only available in His Name because of His sacrificial atonement on the cross.
P ~ Repentance is a PRECIOUS free gift, freeing us from the condemnation our sins rightly deserve.
E ~ Repentance ENABLES peace.
N ~ Repentance NEVER condemns.
T ~ Repentance means an 180 degree TURN away from sin to again face God and walk in His light…so yes, we need to learn from our mistakes.

Repentance is such a precious gift!

In His service, Melanie.


2 comments:

Chanda Griese said...

Thank you for this beautiful message that repentance is a gift. When we have veered away from His Light, may we continually return to our King, knowing He loves us and already paid the price for our sins.

Melanie J Nash said...

Yes, Amen Chanda our King is so good! And I know what a precious gift repentance is having experienced it!