Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Sunday 12 October 2014

The Christian Response for when we’re disappointed by people...

People will disappoint…

What are we to do when people disappoint us?

You know what I mean…I’m not talking about slight let downs…

I’m talking about the real, stomach upsetting actions which can leave you wondering…WHAT?

Those choices sometimes our closest and dearest can make which leave us wondering if we even factor into their choices which impact us…

Disappointments like:
People who apparently are your nearest and dearest, yet stop calling and are only there when you make the effort…
People who are hot one day, cold the next and leave you feeling confused…
People who don’t keep their promises and let you down at the last moment with a feeble excuse…
People who don’t keep their word and end up being gossips or slanderers behind your back…
People who are double-minded and double-tongued…
People who only want you in their life when it suits them and their schedule…
People who prove to have only been in your life for what they can get from you…
People who withdraw when your life changes dramatically…

As you can tell from these examples I know what it’s like to be disappointed by people in life.

This post is NOT about self-reflection and analysing what we ourselves have done in the relationship to contribute to the disappointment because this post is for the person who has given their all and really is disappointed…because I believe this can actually happen!  Yes, I believe that sometimes we really have done all we could have and still can find ourselves let down by someone and disappointed.  This is the person this post is written for…I trust your own maturity to do your own reflecting and analysis over your own relationships.

When I feel like this I know that The Lord commands me to forgive the offender…to pray for them…to bless them and not curse them…AND THIS IS HARD…Yet necessary for us to stay close to Christ and move forward in our life with Him as number one…it allows us to not remain trapped in negative thoughts and the disappointment.

Yet how can we get to the place where we can forgive, pray, bless?  Because it’s one thing to know what we need to do and another to actually be able to do it!

WORSHIP

I believe the only way for me to be able to do as The Lord commands is to connect with His heart through WORSHIP…

I MUST connect with the HEART OF GOD through THE CROSS!

I give Him all my hurt and grief by connecting MY heart with HIM through prayer and singing…even if it is in tears…

I will retreat in private and talk to Him and pump up the WORSHIP music and sing and listen and pray…sometimes I blog too…I do this until I find, once again, His compassion and peace within me…

If I don’t, I feel I am only left with my flesh…which is short tempered, angry, hurt and torn.  

When the disappointment resurfaces I need to once again connect with The Lord through WORSHIP to be able to again re-forgive the person for the disappointment they have left me with.  This process, I believe is what that churchy-phrase ‘Give-it-to-The-Lord’ means…you know the one that gets sometimes flippantly spoken without being explained…the response that can be spoken even before the person is able to share their gut-wrenching hurt…

It is only when I connect my heart with HIS through WORSHIP – true, gut-wrenching WORSHIP of The One who is forever faithful and true…even when others are not - that I can truly forgive, pray and bless the offender and work for peace with them.  It does not mean that I will be reconciled with the person as this may be foolish to do…sometimes we do actually need to walk away from these people…but either way, it does mean I can be truly set free from the pain and disappointment, praise Him!


Let me leave you with a WORSHIP song which helps me to connect with Him and His LOVE!  Melanie.


No comments: