Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Monday 19 May 2014

Vulnerability...

I believe that we need to allow ourselves to be vulnerable in a wise way.


Yes vulnerable…Now I’m NOT saying that we should take stupid risks, but rather be willing to take steps towards openness and transparency in our relationships with others, to truly love and be loved.

Jesus loved and was vulnerable.


Relationships are risky...In ANY relationship you risk being hurt...Relationships at work, with family members, new friends…

They all take an investment of yourself.  An investment of your time and effort and no rewards are promised.

Hurt, disappointment, rejection, betrayal, taken advantage of, used, abused, lied to, mocked, scorned…I’ve known these things…but haven’t we all or won’t we all at one time or another?  You see, I don’t think any of us in our human condition are immune from pain.  It is our baggage, our junk that wants to cling to us…it’s what we long to be free from.

Some of us put up walls…

Some of us never fully trust again…

Some of us don’t learn and find ourselves trapped…

However I believe there is true healing with Jesus for a new beginning with Him.

He who knew no sin, was hurt, disappointed, rejected, betrayed, taken advantage of, used, abused, lied to, mocked, scorned, beaten, abandoned and put to death…He remained vulnerable and truly loved!

I spoke to a wise friend today about ‘triggers’ – you know those private ‘land mines’…that invisible baggage I carry around…when something happens or someone acts in a certain way that starts my internal alarm bell ringing when perhaps it doesn’t need to be…

I’m NOT saying that internal alarm bells aren’t good – for indeed we need to heal from hurts and learn not to put ourselves in un-wise situations!  However sometimes those triggers can be tripped and the reason isn’t valid…

She told me I had a choice…to just react (like an impulsive knee-jerk reaction) or to respond maturely, taking time to think logically about the situation and deciding the best response once I’d given thought to my possible triggers and the other person’s also.

This decision can be applied to all of our relationships…even the one with our children!

I thought this was wise, mature, practical advice that would help me to grow while remaining vulnerable and open to loving relationships in a wise way.

Some food for thought,

Love Mel J


No comments: