Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Friday 14 March 2014

The Dress of Love...

Col 3: 12-14
“So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.” (MSG)

This scripture was sent to me last night from a wonderful young woman of God, as an encouraging message of love from Jesus!  I was so moved as The Message is not my general reading translation, so I have not heard this section of scripture this way before; so beautifully poetic for me as a Christian woman and timely as my wardrobe is currently over-flowing, with loaned garments from my loving sister for my new upcoming job.

This message was part of a wider conversation that left me feeling so encouraged and up-lifted in The Lord.  I truly needed to hear it this, along with the exhortation to keep loving others regardless if I don’t see the fruit of this labour immediately.  I needed this encouragement to keep loving, as sometimes it is difficult to keep sharing about God’s un-changing love, and showing it when we don’t always know if others really want it…

I read this message and looked to my wardrobe, stocked full of beautiful garments lovingly provided for me by God at a time when money is an issue…And I could not help but think that although I know they are a wonderful blessing, they still are but material items that do not necessarily make a woman beautiful!  For true beauty, is the dress of love, as this passage expresses so magnificently.  Cosmetic coverings do not make a woman beautiful, God’s love shining through her however is the ‘true glow’…

Smiling and looking into another person’s eyes to let them know that what they are saying matters.  Gently giving sound advice and not trampling on someone’s delicate feelings.  Sending a message when you may not feel like it, to that person who hardly ever contacts you first.  Taking the time to play with your family and letting the dishes wait half an hour longer.  Cooking double the amount, so you can share with a neighbour in need.  Making that hospital visit a priority, over your own personal time.  Swallowing your pride when someone has taken what you said the wrong way…These are some little ways we can dress ourselves in God’s love…you may think of many more.  But these ‘little things’ actually accumulate to make a wonderful impact for the Kingdom of God and His glory.

I had a conversation this morning with another Christian, and later I was a bit upset over their reaction at one point and I felt like letting them know…However I knew that I should wait before reacting so quickly.  Then I read a wonderful post by a blogger which reminded me not to be so ‘puffed up’ with knowledge of God that I forget to practice what I preach, and to remain in relationship with Him.  I then realised this emotive reaction happening inside was not from God, and my annoyed reaction would not be love for this other person, as it would only be self-serving.  I needed to be quick to forgive the slight offense and remained clothed in God’s dress of love.

I truly hope that by reading this post, you too are encouraged to never be without your garment of love, regardless of how many dresses you may have in your wardrobe and continue to love even when it’s tough…



In love, Melanie J


1 comment:

Chanda Griese said...

Such an encouraging post, Melanie! I love The Message translation, too. It helps to have a picture of Scripture to remind me to put on my garment of love <3