Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Thursday 20 March 2014

Persecution

pəːsɪˈkjuːʃn/Submit
noun
Hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of race or political or religious beliefs; oppression.
"her family fled religious persecution"
synonyms: oppression, victimization, maltreatment, ill-treatment, mistreatment, abuse, ill-usage, discrimination, tyranny, tyrannization, punishment, torment, torture; (Google, Web definition).

Persecution have you ever really faced it?


I certainly know that I have Christian brothers and sisters who are under extreme persecution for their faith living in countries ruled by oppressive governments.  Their persecution, I believe, can be likened in ways to the early church…

To be honest I do not face this particular persecution…but persecution I do know it.

I do know what it is like to be looked down upon, to have people try to take advantage of me, and even to be hated because of my faith.

I understand what it is like to be not given a fair go by some because of my gender and marital status.

At the moment I am facing hostility and ill-treatment because of my resolve to not be bullied.  This person does not have any power over me, and I am protected by God...the only weapons they can use to intimidate me, are verbal abuse and/or withdrawing.

This persecution does NOT mean that I am not loved by God, and by writing this post I hope to encourage you for times of persecution...because in Jesus’ discourse with His disciples, recorded in the Gospels, Jesus warns us all of persecution. 

Persecution is unfair…it is unjust…it is NOT right…but it is a reality we face at times during our Christian lives and DOES NOT mean that we are abandoned by God!

What is one to do when facing such a trial?

Have you ever read of the persecution Jeremiah faced in his prophetic ministry?  Talk about un-just treatment from others!

Persecution is really tiring.  I know how low and exhausted I can feel.

God actually said to Jeremiah in Chapter 12 when Jerry has complained; “If you have raced with foot-runners and they have wearied you, how will you compete with horses?” (Jer 12:5)

I’m not sure if you know this passage, but when I have read it, I can tell you, I have thought “Woe…that’s pretty straight up God!”

So I think that if we are to grow stronger from the trial of persecution we are facing, we must fight the weariness by drawing our strength from the everlasting reservoir…God!

I don’t know your trial, I don’t know your pain, I don’t know your persecutor…


But I do know Him, who is more than able, and has more than enough strength to sustain you…

Let me help you draw nearer to Him by sharing some ways which help me:
  • Pray and feed on scripture (fasting can also be a valid option)
  • Seek intercessory prayer from trusted Christian brothers and/or sisters.
  • Go to church!  Yes!  Don’t wallow at home…need to cry?  Do it at church.
  • Hold to your faith and standards, yes God may speak to you about something you need to change…but do not back down from your Christian moral stance.
  • Pray for your persecutor…they need God as much as you do.
  • Pump up the music!  Meditate on Christian songs/hymns and pour your heart out to God in song.
  • Seek to do good wherever possible, keep loving others no matter what trial you are facing.  Scripture says to overcome evil with good (Romans 12:21) and I have found that doing something good and positive also helps lift my mood.

No matter what the persecution we must stand firm in our resolve to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and to love our neighbours as ourselves (and yes, this includes the persecutor/s).  It’s NOT being a doormat, there are consequences for actions, but it does involve working for a peaceful resolution whenever possible.

Peace be with you, Melanie.

Let me leave you with this awesome Hillsong song, OCEANS

You call me out upon the waters, The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery, In oceans deep, My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name, And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise, My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters, Your sovereign hand, Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

So I will call upon Your name And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise, My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters, Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger, In the presence of my Savior

I will call upon Your Name, Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace, I am Yours and You are mine...




No comments: