Like what you read?

Life of an Ordinary Aussie Woman

Thursday 26 December 2013

The King has been born ~ Boxing Day 2013


At Christmas I do hope we still hear about the birth of the King of Kings, Jesus…who was the Christ child, born into the world He would save.

Today on Boxing Day, I am sitting at home reflecting upon how we spend this day, and I am hoping that as Christians we are honouring our King today!
As a young child the name ‘boxing day’, confused and slightly worried me…you see I wondered if somewhere in the city there was a big boxing match being  held!  Because to be honest I’ve never appreciated boxing as a sport, sorry not trying to offend anyone…just being honest.
I was a simple, young country girl, who just wanted everyone to get along…and to be real, some of the simple country girl still remains in me…But now I’m just more realistic and understand that our world is broken.  However I do so look forward to when our true King returns and reigns, for His Kingdom is one of peace and righteousness!
 
I was AMAZED when I was older to be told the true meaning behind ‘Boxing Day’…I was awe struck to realise that there had been people reaching out to others in need and ‘boxing-up’ gifts!  Maybe I thought… “Wow, perhaps our world isn’t so bad after all.”
So today I ask you…shouldn’t Boxing Day and really our whole lives reflect the Kingdom of God?
For as Christians we are no longer estranged from God – in fact we are royalty along with Jesus.
Here’s some things I hope help to inspire you…because Jesus’ Kingship actually filters down to us.
 
JESUS' KINGSHIP:
The three gifts offered to Jesus as a child give us a glimpse into Jesus’ Kingship…the gold is an obvious gift fit for a King and also Frankincense a beautiful smelling incense and myrrh an anointing oil are.  Yet these gifts also offer a glimpse into Jesus’ future as the true messiah, the King of Kings, Immanuel (God with us). Gold can represent Jesus’ Kingship; frankincense Jesus’ high priestly role and myrrh can be used for his death.  Check out more here:
But wait there’s more...OUR ROYAL INHERITANCE:
Scripture says: 'But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.' ( 1 Pet2:9 NRSV)
Jesus Himself said that we are no longer servants, but His friends, and we understand that through blessed Jesus, we receive adoption into God’s family...wow!
I must acknowledge that there are times when I feel so far from that of a royal princess!  We are in a world that does not acknowledge the one true King…we are in a world where self is king…self has become god for many…
 
Here in Australia today, there will indeed be countless people rushing to the shops to grab their Boxing Day bargains – Boxing Day sales are huge here!  I’m sorry if this sounds judgemental because I’m just wanting to be honest…you see the truth is I highly doubt if these bargains will be boxed-up for people less fortunate…
 
Jesus’ Kingdom has come for us as Christians, but is still yet to come fully to our world and we eagerly await our King’s return.  But how we wait matters! 
While we pray…“Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.  Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as in Heaven…” Shouldn’t we be a reflection of God’s Kingdom in our life?  A reflection of what it is like to be a member of royalty…what it’s like to be a child of the King of Kings.
No, we won’t always get our lives and attitudes right because we are still waiting for all sin to be done away with…but God remains constant and good and He is more than willing to reach others with His love through His children.
It is true that every good gift comes from God, so let’s be open to being a vessel He may use to give His good gifts to others.  This willingness need not come from a belief that one must serve to be a ‘good Christian’…because remember our good deeds are filthy rags and we do not earn our salvation…life actually isn’t about us! 
Our willingness should be from a joyous heart of a prince or princess who is secure in their Father, the King of Kings, and who wants to welcome their brothers and sisters into their good Kingdom.
 
I want to ask one more question before I end this post because I think it’s healthy for us all…
 
How does your life reflect God’s Kingdom has come to you, and how are you sharing this good news?
As always, in love, Melanie.

 

No comments: